Start with the following agencies and offices:
- Social Security Administration: Take or mail a completed and signed Social Security Name Change Form (Application for Social Security
Card) along with your Certified Marriage Certificate(s) to any Social Security Office. Click here to download a Social Security Name Change Form, and Click here to find the Social Security Office nearest you.
- Driver’s License: Visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles Office. Bring your Driver’s License, new Social Security Card and a CERTIFIED copy of your Marriage Certificate or CERTIFIED Abstract of Marriage Certificate.
- U.S. Department of State (Passport): Click here to change name on passport
- Banking: Visit your bank; bring your new Driver’s License and one of your Certified Marriage Certificates. Don’t forget to order new checks & debit/credit cards.
- U.S. Postal Service: Click here to change name with Post Office
- Voter registration: Visit your local registrar.
Others you should notify:
Click here for a Name Change Checklist
- Credit Card Companies
- Investments & Other Financial Offices
- Schools or Alumni Organizations
- Utilities Companies